Wednesday, February 12, 2014

July 7th, 1894 thru July 8th, 1894


I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.

Saturday, July 7th, 1894 - Bert worked in the morning - chores, and sharpening a scythe and some "machine knives".  He then seems to take the rest of the weekend off.  More time off than usual.  He changes clothes, and then goes to Prattsburgh, and buys a few things, before heading over home - his father's place to spend the night.  He buys some boot taps for 15 cents, and nails to attach them for 10 cents.  I would think  these would have been for the purpose of making his boots last longer. ( I remember putting metal "taps" on my boots when I was a kid.)  Also bought a fly net for $1.75.  (I'm thinking some sort of netting to go over the bed to keep out flys and mosquitoes?)  And 2 cans of fish for 37 cents.

Sunday, July 8th, 1894 - Bert and his brother Leaman took a walk on Sunday morning and then just sat around and talked till after noon.  Then they hitched up Bert's buggy and went for a ride - First down to Branchport and down the lake shore road to visit the place "Uncle George" used to live.  My friend Rose Thorsen probably will let me know who "Uncle George" is?  They came back home a bit and then headed over to visit the Dye's in Prattsburgh.  Bert comments that he was in Jerusalem, Italy, Pulteney, and Prattsburgh today.

No comments:

Post a Comment