Thursday, December 23, 2010

March 29 thru 30, 1894

I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.

Thursday - They move more stuff to the new place today, and spend the night there for the first time. Bert loads up some more "truck", and then leads Fanny over to the new place. I assume this is one of their horses, but no idea why he would not have ridden her over? Pa (John Babcock), "Pie Face", and Leman moved more stuff over to the new place, and Horton "fetched Olivia and some other truck." I have no idea who "Pie Face" is? Or who Horton is?

Friday - Another of Bert's great phrases - "the wind was in the south this morning and it blew lather to shave" (I'm thinking maybe referring to blowing hard enough to blow everything away - like shaving your beard?) He and Leman did the chores as always, and then went to Italy (nearby community) to get some hay. They stop in Jerusalem (another small community in the area) on the way home. I have no idea what he means about it being his "last night in Jerusalem"?

No comments:

Post a Comment