Friday, December 10, 2010

March 23 thru 24, 1894

I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.

My first new posting in a long time. My apologies. Life just seems to move on and things recede further into the undone pile. I hope I can keep up with making regular entries?

I love Bert's cool turn of phrase ability. This one - "the wind blew holy Moses". He makes the usual entry about chores, and the big move goes on. He and brother Leman continue moving things from the old place to John's (Bert's father) new farm. Given the use of horse and sleigh, and bitter cold weather, it takes a while!

Saturday comes up at 6 below zero, but evidently not so windy? More chores of course, and two loads of wood (probably firewood) taken to the new farm. He and Leman get back home around 4 o'clock, and have to make their own dinner.

Bert comments in a separate entry that "five years ago tonight I left home for my self" Bert often comments about some of the loneliness of his life. It appears that his father pretty much told him it was time to go when he was old enough and he could no longer live at home. There is lots of daily family contact, but Bert lives on his own, and seems quite conscious of his "separateness"

No comments:

Post a Comment