Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28 thru 29, 1894


I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest.  If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.
------------------------------------------------
Sunday, January 28, 1894 --  frost in the air this morning and it was twelve above zero  Leman and Bert do the morning chores as always, and then Bert went up to Herman's.  He then went over to Russell Dye's and changed his "under cloths".    He then went back to Herman's for dinner, and then back to Russell Dye's and got a sack of chestnuts.  He then returned home for the night.


Monday, January 29, 1894 ---  Another cold morning and another day of chores.  Pa went to Naples with a load of potatoes.  Leman and Bert drew three loads of straw.... not sure from where to where?  It was a snowy afternoon, so the time got spent sorting potatoes.  John Babcock went to Naples with another load of potatoes.  They then did the evening chores.  And, in another example of Bert's style of writing "outside the lines", Bert notes "and today I let my watch run down".  If you recall, he carefully set his watch at Suttons a couple of days ago.  Sutton's was a jeweler at the time, and probably sold clocks and watches.  Don's note:  Back in the 1950's, I bought a pocket watch at Suttons with 50 cents that I earned cutting bull thistles from the pasture on my Grandfather Olney's farm about 2 miles from where the events of this diary happen.  Suttons is still in business in Naples, NY today.

No comments:

Post a Comment