Friday, December 20, 2013

July 1, 1894 thru July 2, 1894

I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.

Sunday, July 1st, 1894 - Bert mentions going to church twice today.  Bert does not seem to be a terribly regular church goer, so this seems a bit unusual.  I'm not sure what church he attended.  It may have been the Ingleside Christian Church, the Old School Baptist Church in Ingleside, or possibly the Italy Valley Church which was just around the corner from where he lived.  If my Dad, or Rose Thorsen, or anyone else, have any info on the church attended by the family, I'd love more information.  He also mentions getting "winter greens" which I would take to refer to wintergreen hard candy?  Wintergreen hard candy would have been common at the time.

Monday, July 2nd, 1894 - Back to work - cultivating corn, potatoes, and preparing the flower bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment