Sunday, August 7, 2011

May 14, 1894 thru May 15, 1894

If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me ..... especially with input on Bert's coded entries?

Monday, May 14, 1894 --- Bert continues to fight his illness. He reports that his head "ached to beat Grant". I think I remember him using this phrase before, but I can't track down what this might refer to? Russ and Bert continued preparing fields for planting, and Russell went to his father's place to get seed potatoes.

Tuesday, May 15, 1894 --- Another day of headache, and Bert says he "barked and caughed (sic) all day". Bert marked a field for planting potatoes. (Probably digging shallow furrows to "drop" the potato pieces into at the proper distance apart) George Spiers and one of the Bardeen boys worked dropping the potato pieces. Bert and Russell cut more potatoes, and covered the potato pieces that were dropped earlier. Russell went back over to his father's place to get more potatoes. Bert reports that it went below freezing last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment