Sunday, July 31, 2011

May 4, 1894 thru May 5, 1894

If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me ..... especially with input on Bert's coded entries?

Friday, May 4, 1894 --- Not much extra info today - Bert and Russell drag and drill oats all day until about half past six in the evening. Bert does report that his illness is getting worse.

Saturday, May 5, 1894 --- Bert went over to E. Hayners and got a "rooler" (sic) owned by the Dye family. He then "rooled" six acres of the planted oats by 15 minutes after 10AM. A pretty good morning's work! I'm interested that what looks like another of Bert's spelling errors - "rooler" equals "roller" might be correct? I note that the title on the following picture I found of a horse drawn "rooler". Rollers / Roolers were used in road construction, packing down soil around newly planted seeds, and for packing snow on roads in the winter for a better surface for sleighs.

Bert then came home and plowed until noon, and Russell finished drilling oats at Averys. In the afternoon Bert and Russell both plowed the old sheep pasture. Bert seems to have done a lot of hard work considering he is feeling so bad --- "still worse my throat is so "soar" (sic) can't grunt".

No comments:

Post a Comment