Monday, January 3, 2011

April 6 thru April 7, 1894

I will not be transcribing each entry since most of Bert's diary is pretty clear. You can read the original more easily by clicking on the image above to view a larger version. I will be including this paragraph, or something similar in each entry so that new readers will know they can click the image to enlarge it for easier reading. Also, there will be some links to the right of the page with relevant information that may be of interest. If you follow Bert's diary regularly, you can skip this paragraph. My notes will include the basics of what Bert talks about each day, along with my own personal thoughts, research, information gleaned from past or future entries, etc. If you have information or suggestions that may help my research, please e-mail me.

Friday, April 6, 1894 --- Cold and snowy, and the usual chores. Russell and Bert plow all morning, and husk corn all afternoon. It "snowed about all the time".

Saturday, April 7, 1894 --- Chores as always, and another snowy day. Bert "drawed" a load of manure, and he and Russell cut a load of firewood for Stanley Lion (Lyon?). In the afternoon, Bert fixed a bridle and "sewed a line to gather" and
made a pair
of spread
straps
and
sit
in
the
house

It snowed from the East all day!

I laid out the above as Bert did in his handwritten account - no idea why he did this? Anyone with a knowledge of farm leather work, harness repair, etc. that can fill me in on "sewed a line to gather" and "spread straps" is encouraged to enlighten me!

And Herman came over to get Bert to go over to Mr. Hiler's to get his hired girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment